Sunday 12 October 2014

why stop using GNU screen?


I've been using GNU screen effectively for the last couple of years and although I've heard about tmux I've never considered changing. Well, basically for commodity purposes and because screen did the job.....

So, for those unfamiliar with these type of tool, tmux and screen are software apps that allow you to multiplex VT sessions.  Let's say they are window managers for text console.

more @:


Recently I've hit some limitations of screen and decided to try out tmux (which actually does a great job). 
Obviously I am still used to screen interface and commands, so the path to get a more "proficient" level with tmux is going to be evolutive as it always is.

I found an interesting comparison blog post about both tools here: 

Cheat sheet
tmux < -- to --> screen :

No comments:

Post a Comment